Established in 1962 to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the inauguration of children’s libraries in Toronto by this distinguished pioneer. The Lillian H. Smith Collection comprises creative books of literary and artistic merit, published in English since 1911, including picture books, fairy tales, fiction and poetry. The collection includes manuscripts, letters and book related original art together with extensive resource material.
Among notable holdings are:
- early and first editions of many modern children’s classics
- manuscripts and archival materials pertaining to a number of authors, including Susan Cooper and Kevin Crossley-Holland
- original book related art by many illustrators including Margaret Bloy Graham, Marcia Brown, Edward Ardizzone and Maurice Sendak
- early and modern movable books and miniatures
The Osborne Collection of Early Children’s Books
The Lillian H. Smith branch, Toronto Public Library
239 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M5T 1R5
Mon. – Fri. 10-6, Sat. 9-5; Closed Sundays and holidays.
- Leslie McGrath – email@example.com
- Martha Scott – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lori McLeod – email@example.com